Wednesday, March 20, 2013

This movie just might possess you












Possession (1981)

This is not an easy movie as it plays on your deeper emotions rather than your rational thinking. So if you won't let yourself go with it, you will only get utter nonsense out of it. It starts out as a family drama where the marriage of Mark (Sam Neill) and Anna (Isabelle Adjani) seems to be over. It follows Mark as he struggles to cope with the new life without his wife, it seems that he's slowly starting to lose his mind. But then the movie turns to a surrealistic horror story which builds the crazy plot towards the surprisingly action packed cathartic ending. All the while you are constantly wondering what the hell am I watching here. But the beauty is that it's intriguing, you don't care that the plot makes not much sense or that the acting is at points extremely over the top and even corny. It's shot quite brilliantly and the music fits the mood nicely. Both of the lead characters do a great job at their parts, even though, and partly because, there is so much deliberate over acting. And the supporting cast is not one bit worse. This movie is definitely not for everyone and the first time I saw it I just found it silly, had a few laughs about how bad it was but nothing else. On the second time it scared the hell out of me and on this third time I was surprisinly moved by it. That right there is an indication of a brilliant movie when you can experience it multiple times with completely different feelings. Now there are some things I don't find working in this movie, but to be honest I guess I just haven't figured them out yet, maybe next time they won't bother me at all. This movie has surely grown on me and I think it will grow even further the next time I watch it somewhere in the future, so I will leave the scoring of it a tiny bit of room to grow as well.
95%


No comments: