Saturday, March 2, 2013

The pains of growing up as a wallflower












The Perks of Being a Wallflower (2012)

I guess I'm not the target audience for these high school coming of age movies, but that didn't stop me from watching this one as I had heard quite a many good comments about it. It's a story about Charlie (Logan Lerman), a quiet introverted freshman who becomes friends with Patrick (Ezra Miller) and Sam (Emma Watson) who pretty much teach him to live his life. That's it in short, of course there's the first love and the usual things you'd expect from a movie like this. Great thing about this one is that it handles some darker themes of life in middle of it all, but that's also the biggest problem of this movie. There's just too many themes squeezed into it so most of them end up staying way too superficial. So the themes of mental illness, child abuse, suicide, drugs and so on are just scratched a bit on the surface in hopes of trying to give depth to this otherwise quite light hearted drama. Another problem was that I couldn't really relate to anyone in this movie, I mean sure school life and growing up is rather universal and easy to relate to, but the people felt very distant to me, so it left me more as a bystander. Though that wasn't such a big problem as the movie was still quite entertaining and well made. It pushes the right buttons at the right times. The cast was quite ok, nothing to complain about them. Tom Savini as the shop teacher was quite a nice surprise. I bet people closer to the high school age will get more out of this movie than I did, but at least I wasn't bored, even though it didn't rock my world either.
65%


No comments: